It's the same deal every year. You're getting ready to leave for an event, then you realize your Coggins test is out of date. Or you've lost it. Or maybe you never got it in the first place.
This test is seemingly pointless, as horses NEVER come back positive, right?
So, it begs the question: Why is Coggins testing in horses so important?
With a positive test in North Carolina this week (click here for info), it brings to the forefront the importance of Coggins testing. This test is required annually in the US for any horses that are travelling, showing, or boarding. It may seem like a waste of money, but the federal screening requirements in the US are so effective that you only rarely hear o...
Heaves is a persistent condition that affects the lungs of horses. It is a similar condition to COPD in people. It occurs due to an inflammatory reaction from particles found in the horse's environment. When a horse inhales these particles, the small airways in the horse's lungs narrow and eventually become obstructed.
How can you tell your horse has heaves?
Increased breathing rate
Flaring the nostrils
What should you do?
Do have your horse examined by a veterinarian.
Depending on the severity of the case, your horse may need certain medical treatments to help ease your horse's breathi...
In horses, choke is a condition that occurs when food or some other material becomes stuck in the esophagus. The term choke can be a bit confusing since in people, choking can refer to having something lodged in the trachea (airway).
A few reasons this occurs are because the horse is not chewing properly or the horse is eating too quickly.
What are signs of choke?
Discharge (sometimes containing feed material) coming from both nostrils and/or mouth.
Some horses may make repeated, unsuccessful attempts to swallow.
Not wanting to eat or drink
What should you do if you suspect a horse is choking?
Summer is the time of year we always see pokeweed growing everywhere throughout the Grand Strand. You can't miss it. It's big. It's got a bright red stem and dark berries when mature. Although most horses will not eat this, it is toxic, and horses will eat it if they run out of better feed options.
The roots are the most toxic part of the plant, but horses can become poisoned from eating the leaves and berries. The toxin in this plant can cause burning in the mouth, diarrhea, and colic.
Even the large bushes are very easily cut down or pulled out, so we strongly encourage you to get these bushes out of your pastures. With this being so easy to identify and remove, go ahead and...