Summer is the time of year we always see pokeweed growing everywhere throughout the Grand Strand. You can't miss it. It's big. It's got a bright red stem and dark berries when mature. Although most horses will not eat this, it is toxic, and horses will eat it if they run out of better feed options.
The roots are the most toxic part of the plant, but horses can become poisoned from eating the leaves and berries. The toxin in this plant can cause burning in the mouth, diarrhea, and colic.
Even the large bushes are very easily cut down or pulled out, so we strongly encourage you to get these bushes out of your pastures. With this being so easy to identify and remove, go ahead and avoid the risk of toxicity!