Toxic Plant of the Summer: Pokeweed!

Summer is the time of year we always see pokeweed growing everywhere throughout the Grand Strand. You can't miss it. It's big. It's got a bright red stem and dark berries when mature. Although most horses will not eat this, it is toxic, and horses will eat it if they run out of better feed options.

The roots are the most toxic part of the plant, but horses can become poisoned from eating the leaves and berries. The toxin in this plant can cause burning in the mouth, diarrhea, and colic.

Even the large bushes are very easily cut down or pulled out, so we strongly encourage you to get these bushes out of your pastures. With this being so easy to identify and remove, go ahead and avoid the risk of toxicity!

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Mobile Large Animal Veterinarian in Longs, South Carolina

© Myrtle Beach Equine Clinic     Copyright 2012-2018

  • myrtle beach equine clinic facebook
  • myrtle beach equine clinic instagram
  • myrtle beach equine clinic youtube
  • myrtle beach equine clinic twitter
  • myrtle beach equine clinic pinterest